Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Krazy Kourabiedes!

I have finally run out of excuses and started my food blog ! I was looking through a friends blog 'the littlest anchovy' the other day and came across a recipe for Kourabiedes. I have been meaning to make these beautiful biscuits since December last year but never got around to doing it as I was too busy obsessing over the perfect brownie recipe and baking a different batch each week. It was difficult to drag myself away from multiple bags of choc-chips and luscious batches of brownies but I have finally moved on.
This recipe is pretty straight forward and easy to follow. I tweaked the original recipe by adding walnuts to the mixture and adding the ouzo and rosewater liquids to the nut mixture before I put it in the blender. One thing I did learn (the hard way ofcourse) is no matter how amazing the smell may be, do not be tempted to stick you're nose into a blender after you have just poured alcohol over pipping hot almonds and walnuts, the steam from the mix is so powerful it actually hurts! Now before I go on any further,I would like to make one thing clear,I am a very lazy baker/cook and look for shortcuts whenever I can. I'm impatient and struggle through the little extras such as sifting dry ingredients, although I do recommend that dry ingredients are sifted before being added to the recipe I don't do it myself!
p.s
I thought you might want to the know that the Krazy in Krazy Kourabiedes was inspired by tonight's episode of Kourtney and Kim take New York ;)
here goes.. my (kinda) first recipe on this blog!


Krazy Kourabiedes!

Ingredients
-3/4 cup raw almonds (skin on)
-3/4 cup walnuts
-250g Unsalted Butter
-80g Icing Sugar + extra for dusting
-1 egg
-20ml Ouzo
-2 tbl spoons rosewater +extra for coating
-375g Plain Flour
-1 tsp Baking Powder


method


Step one:
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Toast the almonds and walnuts, I used a microwave for mine,they were done within 3 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before chopping them roughly in a food processor, add the rosewater and ouzo then process until they appear to be smooth and moist.


Step two:

Cream together the butter and icing sugar in a mixer until pale and fluffy,add in the egg and beat for a few seconds. Add the almonds and walnuts to the mixture and stir in till just combined. 
Step three:

Attach dough hook and knead flour and baking powder into the mixture to form a dough. Take 1 tablespoon measurements of the mixture and form crescent shapes. Line tray with baking paper, bake biscuits in preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until slightly brown.

Step Four:

Using a pastry brush, dab the top of the biscuits while they are still warm with rose water then dust with LOTS of icing sugar! Best enjoyed with a cup of Irish breakfast or a good old shot of Ouzo! ;)


Hope you guys enjoyed my first post,feel free to comment as constructive feedback is always appreciated!

Happy Baking :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! These look fantastic! Looking forward to seeing your perfect brownies as I am yet to find the perfect recipe for these myself. I am well jel of your KitchenAid!

    ReplyDelete